This mosaic patchwork (2385 x 1725 mm), pieced with army uniform fabrics, came from the Thomas family in south Wales. It originally belonged to grandmother Elvira Thomas (neé Jenkins). It is believed to have been made by a cousin from the Talgarth area in Powys where there was a convalescent home for wounded soldiers.
The tiny patches in this piece are made of uniform fabrics - heavily fulled plain weave wool – in black, red, yellow, and white. There are squares, hexagons, triangles, diamonds and hearts. The fading on the reverse shows where badges have been removed. There is a central medallion with two borders. The pieces have been painstakingly hand stitched with cream cotton thread, using running and backstitch.
There is a twill weave red cotton binding, which is probably a tape, but no backing material.