This wool flannel wholecloth quilt was made by Lizzie Jane Williams in about 1900. Her husband was Tom Williams, and the couple lived at Cwm Llynfe Farm, Llansadarn, near Llandovery, on the north-western edge of the Brecon Beacons. Their son-in-law, John Ernest Roberts, ran the family business R Roberts & Sons Gentlemen’s Outfitters at Cambrian House in Llanidloes. When John’s son, Ken, moved to Ludlow, several of Lizzie’s quilts were found and bought by The Quilt Association.
This reversible wholecloth quilt measures 2230 x 1942mm, and is made of plain weave wool flannel, maroon on one side, mustard on the other. It is finely hand quilted in black thread, with hearts in the borders, and also fans and cables.
The quilt has been exhibited several times, including at The Quilt Association “Reds on the Beds” summer show of 2005, at Ludlow Library Resource Centre, and Holyhead Arts Centre on Anglesey.